Be Prepared for Rain at All Times
How often have you found yourself ducking an overflowing rain gutter, or sidestepping nasty puddles around your home, especially after a few heavy showers? Whether it is leaves, twigs or seasonal debris, clogged gutters will create annoying waterfalls that pour off on rainy days, or create hazardous icicles around the roofline during winter.
At Mastercraft Painting and Finishes, we see that gutters and gutter systems are a relatively overlooked part of home maintenance. Quite often, they do not get the attention they deserve. Performing a critical function of routing rain water into the drainage system, well-maintained gutters prevent water damage to your home and property. In fact, installing gutter guards and cleaning the gutters twice a year could help you avoid backbreaking work and expensive repairs that clean out your wallet.
Keep Your Gutters Clean and Rain-Ready
Unfortunately, the problem with clogged gutters is not restricted to waterfalls or puddles alone. When excess water gets dammed up, it tries to find the path of least resistance, making way to the walls, sidings, doors, windows and foundation. A dysfunctional gutter will wreak havoc on the structural integrity of your home in more ways than you can imagine:
- Clogged debris drenched in rainwater will add weight and stress on the gutters and their hanging brackets, and could potentially pull the gutters off the house. Crashing gutters would be a real threat to property and life.
- Overflowing gutters will not only damage the exterior paint, but also create ugly stains on the side of your house. If water seeps through the walls, you will have to deal with the devastating effects of wood rot, leaky ceilings and damage to the interiors of your home. Often enough, the problem may go unseen, until it becomes quite severe.
- During winters, the blocked water will freeze and lead to ice-damming, causing further damage to the shingles, wood and your home’s overall roof structure.
- If the overflowing rain water pools around your home and seeps into the foundation, it could cause cracks that lead to flooding in the crawl spaces and basement.
Luckily, preventative maintenance of the gutter systems is a lot simpler than dealing with chaotic issues later. Here are some simple steps to stay rain-ready and protect the structural integrity of your home.
- Get Rid of the Debris: Clear twigs, leaves, and other accumulated debris in order to minimize the chances of clogging and overflowing. Consider installing gutter guards to reduce the effort of cleaning, as the screen or mesh will trap the dirt and debris, allowing your gutters to perform their core function more effectively.
- Fix the Leaks: Over time, weather-beaten gutters could develop cracks at the seams. Hose your gutters, inspect every inch of the gutter system for drips, and fix any visible leaks by applying a layer of sealant.
- Clear the Downspouts: Although you may not be able to detect a clogged downspout easily, it is often the main culprit for rain gutter overflows. The best way to spot a problematic downspout is to hose down from the top and check if the water flows through freely at the bottom. In case of inconsistent flow, use a plumber’s snake to expel any obstructions.
Hesitant to climb ladders or get your hands dirty with messy, cleaning jobs? Why not leave gutter cleaning and gutter guard installation to the professionals at Mastercraft Painting and Finishes? Our exterior painting and refinishing crew is fully-licensed, bonded, insured and safety-trained. With access to advanced tools and equipment, we will complete the job quickly and efficiently, with minimal disruption to your routine.
For affordable, reliable gutter cleaning services, hire Mastercraft Painting and Finishes. To learn how gutter guards can enhance the functionality of your gutter systems, call 267-496-5307 or contact us online for a free estimate.