Gone are the days of adhering to conventional norms when it comes to painting the doors of your home. No longer do you need to choose the same old predictable whites. Add some visual delight by opting for shades like olive green, maroon, lavender, canary yellow, or royal blue. Black is a bold choice too. Take it a step further and add a touch of flair by painting the molding that frames the door in a strikingly contrasting color.
Here are some tips from our painting experts on how to express your creativity while painting your doors and moldings without compromising on aesthetics.
A Few Coats of Paint Is All It Takes
- Take inspiration from your interior design: Whether you aim to accentuate a specific door with paint or infuse a captivating dimension into your décor, opt for a color that carries an element of surprise and allure. Let your inspiration flow from the curtains, rug, or artwork already gracing your space, unveiling a plethora of exciting possibilities before you.
- Painting doors and moldings: Contrary to popular belief, doors and moldings don’t really need to match. Play it safe by using the same colors for both or try using contrasting shades. You can also use complementary colors. It’s important to have a clear vision of the outcome and choose what feels right to you.
- Harmonizing colors: Opting for the timeless white or off-white hues ensures a safe and perpetually stylish choice. If you seek an alternative to white while maintaining subtlety, consider shades like taupe or cream.
- Contrasting shades: If you’re up for it, go bold by choosing entirely contrasting colors, making a pronounced statement. Pair a pink door with white molding or a black door with white trim. Ensure that your color choices derive from those already present in the room to achieve seamless integration.
- Coordinating colors: For a nuanced distinction, explore complementary colors. For instance, pair a white door with grey molding or a wooden door complemented by a distressed counterpart.
- Test the color before you invest: Conduct a preliminary test before you dive right into a significant paint investment. Buy a quart of the desired color instead of the entire box and apply it to a sample board. This practical step allows you to gauge the visual effect before proceeding further. For example, if you’re contemplating a specific hue for your door molding but remain unsure about its compatibility with the door color, consider painting a poster board and placing it adjacent to the door to visualize the combination. This prudent approach minimizes the likelihood of errors in your decision-making process.
Embrace a Spectrum of Colorful Opportunities
The paint on your doors can change the entire look of your home. A well-chosen hue can infuse dimension and architectural elegance into every space. Define your objective with precision. Do you want your doors to project your creative flair and stand out, or are you aiming for them to seamlessly blend with your interiors? It’s important to acknowledge that there are no hard rules when it comes to painting your doors and moldings with vibrant shades. Enjoy your creativity, and the outcome will reflect your unique style.
Hire the services of Mastercraft Painting and Finishes to paint, renovate, or repair your Philadelphia home. Call us at 267-496-5307 or contact us online to discuss your home’s painting and refinishing needs and get a FREE estimate.